Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

And Still I Rise by Maya Angelou

Blurb:

These new poems are powerful, distinctive and as always, full of lifting rhythms of love and remembering.

“You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I’ll rise.

* * *
Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I’m a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and Swelling I bear in the tide.”

                                    --from Still I Rise

Review:

One of my favorite poets, Maya Angelou is life unleashed in her book of poetry, And Still I Rise. She touches her reader with the struggles of the heart and soul in her poems of descriptive oppression. One of my best-loved poems of Angelou is her Phenomenal Woman:

“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
I say,
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me.
                        --First verse, Phenomal Woman

I recommend this book to all poetry lovers. Angelou has an intriguing way of expressing the many sides of herself to her reader through a pleasant and powerful tempo.

Thanks for visiting, Rose, Julie, Donna, & Rochelle

Length:  64 Pages
Prices:
Print:  $16.00
Digital:  $11.99
Buy Link: