Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Beverly Bronte Space Chick by James Hartley



Blurb:

Space pirates? Invisible asteroids? Six-limbed aliens invading from the Lesser Magellanic Cloud? Bring 'em on, Beverly Bronte is ready to handle them. As Ensign Bronte, a new graduate of the Trans-Planetary Patrol Academy and the first woman assigned to serve on a Patrol spaceship, Beverly shows her native intelligence and ingenuity in solving problems ... and she also shows her ability to deck a space marine of twice her weight. Promotions come fast, but the challenges come faster in this action packed space saga.

Review:

I think the cover of this book is a bit misleading.  The cover is somewhat sexier than the book is.  I don’t recall Beverly wearing any sexy outfits.  She begins as a cadet at the Trans-Planetary Patrol Academy, and we follow her career through the book.  She reminded me a bit of Honor Harrington of the Royal Manticoran Navy series by David Weber, which is high praise since I’m such a fan of those books, I’m a Lieutenant Commander in the RMN (aka, a member of the Honor Harrington fan club).  The difference is, women are not yet accepted in the TPP and Beverly Bronte has to work twice as hard to prove herself to the men around her.  That’s not too difficult, though—Beverly is twice as good as the men around her.

It is really great to read a book with a strong heroine that is written by a man.  It takes a real man, secure in his masculinity, who truly loves and understands women to do so.  The few I can toss off the top of my head are Robert A. Heinlein, David Weber, Jim Butcher (Karen Murphy and other women in the Harry Dresden series), and James Hartley.  In addition to giving us a strong woman to admire, Beverly Bronte, Space Chick is a fast-paced, adrenalin-loaded space adventure that kept me on the edge of my seat, gave me a good chuckle here and there, and thoroughly entertained me.  And isn’t that why we read fiction of any kind?  Great book!

Length:  209 Pages
Price:  $5.50

You’ll notice I always include the publisher’s buy link.  That’s because authors usually receive 40% of the book price from the publisher.  Editors and cover artists usually receive about 5%.  When you buy a book from Amazon, Barnes & Noble or another third-party vendor, they take a hefty cut and the author, editors and cover artists receive their cuts from what is left.  So, if a book costs $5.99 at E-Book Publisher.com and you buy from there, the author will receive about $2.40.  If you buy the book at Amazon, the author will receive about $0.83.

Downloading the file from your computer to your Kindle is as easy as transferring any file from your computer to a USB flash drive.  Plug the USB end of your chord into a USB port on your computer and simply move the file from your “Downloads” box to your Kindle/Documents/Books directory.  I actually download my books using “Save As” to a “Books” file I created on my computer that’s sorted by my publisher, friends, and books “to review,” and then transfer them to my Kindle from there.  That way, if there’s a glitch with my Kindle, the books are on my computer.  Your author will be happy you did when he/she sees his/her royalty statement.

Thanks for visiting. Rose & Rochelle

2 comments: