Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Thursday, December 18, 2014

A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman


Blurb:

She's found the love of her life. Unfortunately, he loves her sister. As World War I rages across the Atlantic in 1916, a smaller war is brewing in Boston. Faith O'Connor finds herself drawn to an Irish rogue who is anything but right for her. Collin McGuire is brash, cocky, and from the wrong side of the tracks, not to mention forbidden by her father. And then there's the small matter that he is secretly courting her younger sister. But when Collin's affections shift, it threatens to tear her proper Boston family apart. Book 1 of the Daughters of Boston series, A Passion Most Pure will carry your heart from the sophisticated streets of Boston to the green hills of Ireland as men go off to war and women long for their return. Full of passion, romance, rivalry, and betrayal, it will captivate you from the first page.

Review by Donna Hechler Porter:

I can’t say enough about this book. Put simply, I loved it. The plot was strong and sucked me in from the beginning. It was gut wrenching to put down when I picked up it. In my younger years, I could have read all day and night to finish it!
The characters are drawn well, with real problems despite their faith in God, and I really felt like I got to know them. Even more important, I cared about them.  Faith O’Connor’s strong belief in God is admirable, and Colin McGuire’s  quest for peace, which he finally finds, is gut wrenching.

The only thing I could say that would have made it better would have been cutting the length of some sections of introspection after some disastrous events and perhaps a bit more historical details. But in saying that, I’m being extra picky, for neither one of those things mars the overall story. 

I will warn readers that these are very Christian books. The characters pray – a lot. However, the message is never preachy, and while there are no explicit sexual forays in the book, the hero is not a Christian, and these are not people who advocate a total hands off approach to relationships between men and women.   There is kissing. There are individuals who work hard to follow the Bible's guidelines, and God's, in their approach to not only courting, but marriage as well. This is a definite and easy 5 roses!

Length:  481 Pages
Prices:
Print:  $14.99
Digital:  $7.99 (List) Free (Special)

Thanks for visiting. Rose, Julie, Donna, & Rochelle

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Donna, THANK YOU sooooo much for such a wonderful review, especially given the fact that you are not strictly an inspirational reader -- MUCH appreciated!!

    I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and holy holiday season and thank you again for making mine even better!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete