Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Sunday, January 11, 2015

A Bowl of Rice by Joan Leotta



Blurb:

Anna Maria O'Shea became a nurse to continue her family's Legacy of Honor.

In choosing to stick to her commitment to service she loses her long-time college love, but finds the pain of war is stronger than her private heartache.

Is Mark, the handsome physician, the balm her soul needs? Or is it George who will heal her wounds with a love that transcends war and the pain she sees all around her?

Review by Rochelle Weber:

It’s difficult for me to see this book as an historical romance. The Viet Nam conflict history? No, it’s not—it’s my youth! But, while overall A Bowl of Rice was a pretty good read, it had a moment that reminded me why I’m not a fan of historical romance. Anomalies. It was just a slip, but it was a glaring one to me. When Anna Maria and her roommate decide to go swimming on their day off, they meet George. He welcomes them to the beach using the Vietnamese name and then says, “The Americans call it China Beach, like the TV show.” Screech! Stop the action! Let’s see…A Bowl of Rice takes place when? Go back to the beginning and check the date—1971. Hmm, Anna Maria and I both joined the military the same year. Google China Beach the TV show. I’m fairly sure it was sometime in the early nineties. Oh, 1988—the year I got my degree. Grrr… Big anomaly. Pet peeve.

The other thing that slowed the action was the rhetoric. Anna Marie told just about everyone she spoke with that while she didn’t exactly agree with why we were in Viet Nam, she believed we should support the young men who were fighting because they hadn’t asked to go over there, and they were getting shot up and suffering. Besides, her father, grandfather, uncles, etc. had all served in the military, and she felt she had to live up to her family’s Legacy of Honor. First, I felt the rhetoric slowed the action, and second, I felt she’d done enough to advertise the rest of the series after about the third time she mentioned it.

I’ve since corresponded with Ms. Leona, and I mentioned some of these concerns. She told me that she wasn’t trying to hype the series, just tie the books together, thanked me for my input, and asked me to become a beta reader for future books, so this is the last one I’ll be reviewing. And, she thanked me for pointing out the glitch about the TV anomaly. I’m surprised her editor didn’t catch these things.

Length:  104 Pages
Prices: 
Print:  $7.99
Digital:  $2.99

You’ll notice we always include the publisher’s buy link. That’s because authors usually receive 40% of the book price from the publisher. Editors and cover artists usually receive about 5%. When you buy a book from Amazon, Barnes & Noble or another third-party vendor, they take a hefty cut and the author, editors and cover artists receive their cuts from what is left. So, if a book costs $5.99 at E-Book Publisher.com and you buy from there, the author will receive about $2.40. If you buy the book at Amazon, the author will receive about $0.83.

Downloading the file from your computer to your Kindle is as easy as transferring any file from your computer to a USB flash drive. Plug the larger USB end of your chord into a USB port on your computer and simply move the file from your “Downloads” box to your Kindle/Documents/Books directory. You can download your books onto your computer using “Save As” to a “Books” file you create and sort them into sub-folders by genre, author, or however you wish before transferring them to your Kindle. That way, if there’s a glitch with your Kindle, the books are on your computer. Your author will be happy you did when he/she sees his/her royalty statement.

Thanks for visiting. Rose, Julie, Donna, & Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment