Roses & Thorns

Roses & Thorns

Friday, August 15, 2014

Pen Pals by Olivia Goldsmith




Blurb:

Meet Jennifer - a smart, sexy woman who has made good in a man's world. A major player on The Street, Jennifer agrees to take the fall when her boss is caught playing fast and loose with the SEC. After all, her fiancé is a lawyer with the connections to get her off. Instead, Jennifer ends up in Jennings Correctional Facility for Women, a world a whole lot tougher than Wall Street. Inside she meets a lively group of smart, tough women: crew leader Movita, crazy Cher, blindly optimistic Theresa, and the adorable Suki. While Jennifer waits in vain for the rescue that her fiancé has promised, Movita makes her an offer she can't refuse.

Review:

Pen Pals by Olivia Goldsmith is about a woman accused and sentenced to prison for a crime in which she was complicit but took the entire blame for with the understanding that if she served time it would be in a country club prison.

I feel this book deserves only three roses because while I enjoy Goldsmith’s books very much, I had trouble following this one.  Normally, if an author alternates points of view between each chapter, I can follow the characters.  This story is told from 5 different points of view throughout, which made for a lot of going back to remember whose point of view was being represented during the chapter.

Goldsmith does however get her point across about women in prison and women’s prisons.  It made me take a look at the people in my area who have been sentenced and/or sent to prison.  In my opinion, the women seem to be incarcerated more often and longer than men who have committed more violent crimes.

Since I watched Orange is the New Black before reading this book, this story felt familiar, but it is not as graphic.

What I especially like about Olivia Goldsmith’s books is that when I hear one of her titles, I immediately remember what the story is about.  Her stories are great for conversation, and I really like having those fond memories tucked away.

Length:  355 Pages
Prices:
Audio:  $19.00
Digital:  $5.99

Thanks for visiting, Rose, Julie & Rochelle

No comments:

Post a Comment